Gadfield Elm was the first British chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was built in 1836 by the United Brethren, a group of Primitive Methodists. Through the efforts of Elder Wilford Woodruff, a Mormon apostle, most of the United Brethren joined the fledgling Mormon movement in 1840. The Chapel became the focal point of the local Mormon community until it was sold to help fund the emigration of local members to America.
After falling into disrepair, Gadfield Elm was eventually bought by the Gadfield Elm Trust in 1994. Church President Gordon B. Hinckley accepted the deed to the restored chapel in 2004.
Gadfield Elm is situated between Pendock and Staunton on the Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border. Directions can be found here. For further information, please call 01452 840576. Currently, two missionary couples serve at the chapel: David and Anthea Head, and Doug and June Castle, both from Malvern.
Various articles about the history of the chapel can be found on the sidebar.
Questions about this web site can be emailed to ronan at jhu dot edu. If you have been to the chapel and want to share pictures and stories, please email them.